Tuesday 3 July 2012

When the price is right!

Restoration in progress!
As bargains go, they don't get much better than this!  I am grinning hugely, definitely a happy camper tonight!

I won an eBay auction for these plug-in hotplates, purchased new but never used.  They had been (poorly) stored in someone's garage.  When we collected them the cardboard protection was still on the temperature knobs - as was the plastic tri-pin cover on the electric plug.

As you can see, there is some surface rust.  Nick spent a few minutes lightly scrubbing with steel wool though and most of the rust lifted easily.  Both plates have now been done and he will finish off with some specific hotplate cleaner/blacking agent.

How much did I pay?  One dollar!  I said they were a bargain!  The seller was happy to leave them by his letterbox for me to collect - and just asked that I deposit payment "in the mail"!

We were very impressed with similar hotplates at our Lithgow cabin and had talked of buying some for those camping trips when we stay at powered sites.  They weren't a high priority on the budget though and I wasn't actually looking when I spotted these on eBay - but am very glad to have saved at least $50!

No comments:

Post a Comment