Saturday 15 February 2014

Test-drive?!

I've been gathering quite a collection of activities for our trip. It occurred to me this afternoon that I should test how it would all fit (and be accessible) during the journey.

We sometimes use these magazine holders to organise our library books.  The system isn't all that effective so I've recruited them as book-holders for the car.  They wedge nicely between the seat and the door and the books can be easily retrieved, even when the doors are shut. 

Vaughan's Kindle has been found and is again housed in the custom-cover my mum made.  I've loaded quite a few free titles onto the reader - and organised them into "collections" that should make browsing easier.  (The Kindle will sit comfortably in with a few of Vaughan's "real" books).

The purple bag is hanging on Vaughan's side.  It holds our two "I spy - treasure bottles".  They generally come away on our longer trips, though are usually housed in one of Vaughan's lizard bags (currently MIA).

I'm still thinking about the clip-on drink holders. They seemed a good idea at the time of purchase but not many cups/bottles actually fit!

We don't use these small drink bottles much, as we prefer our  larger 500ml stainless steel versions. Vaughan takes one of those to school, filled with long ice-cubes and chilled water. A week or so ago I discovered that a wetsuit stubbie holder fits nicely around the bottom of the metal bottle.  I was pondering how to insulate the top half when I discovered another style of stubbie holder that doesn't have a base. The two stubbie-holders work together, keeping the bottle contents cool and preventing condensation. (The top holder has been turned inside-out as I didn't think beer advertising was suitable for school)! 

Stubbie holders are something we pick up at op-shops, very cheaply.  We aren't big drinkers, so don't actually use them for canned beer or soft drink but find they are great for protecting glass bottles/jars when packing our foodstuffs for camping.

2 comments:

  1. I do that, turn them inside-out to hide the half naked sheila in my case. I have cut the bottom out of a couple that I wanted to use to make them fit better. I have one with arms, makes my bottle look like a little person. Kind of, in a plastic no-head kind of way...

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't occur to me to cut them, Barb! I reckon that's genius - thank you!

    ReplyDelete